October 29, 2014

Autumn poetry, pictures & paintings

 The golden hues of Autumn have danced through the trees surrounding our wee cottage and trickled their way into my sketchbook. You perhaps already guessed that I love this time of year, it always fills me with the joy of being and ignites my creativity.
Walks in the ancient woodlands fill my pockets with treasures aplenty, each taken home and placed in pride of place on my studio 'seasons'  windowsill to bring me smiles through the darkening days.
 For me autumn feels like a comfortable ancient cloak wrapped about my shoulders, familiar & cosy an old friend to be greeted with joy after the longest of partings.
 Mr O tells says my hair is like "Autumn" and that as we walk in those quiet places I disappear into the surroundings, ha!  so it seems I am indeed an Autumn lass.
 I stop at every turn to take my photos, forever astounded by the hues and textures Mother Nature provides, inspiration for my paintings for years to come.
 Every once in a while I catch a glimpse of wee messages left by fae folk, hearts hidden here & there if you remember to stay still awhile and look for those secret places..
 Even the sunsets seem imbued with Autumnal colour.  It seems the perfect way to say goodbye to the day, to stand on our doorstep and watch the sun slowly sinking into the night leaving velvet darkness.
So I am away back to my paper and my paints to try and capture the essence of Autumn, I'm not sure yet who will appear on the page, but she does have glorious hair.  I shall leave you with some words from one of my favourite Autumn poems by Thomas Hood

"I saw old Autumn in the misty morn
Stand shadowless like Silence, listening
To silence, for no lonely bird would sing
Into his hollow ear from woods forlorn,
Nor lowly hedge nor solitary thorn;
Shaking his languid locks all dewy bright
With tangled gossamer that fell by night,
  Pearling his coronet of golden corn."



it can be read in full here 

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs Ruthie - you can't help but be inspired by the rich quality of the colours at this time of year x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I go wild this time of year! There is so much to do and see, and so little time! I exclaim over every blazing tree, every nuance of color in the leaves, and feel like my brain will explode from the pleasure of looking at the intense, warm glow of the golden rod. Perhaps it's such a precious season because it's so short, but I wish fall could last as long as summer or winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Ruthie, and I love the painting you have begun.. very much looking forward to seeing how she develops :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for these automnal colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful collection of warm, autumnal scenes and colours, Ruthie. And fabulous hair! I love autumn too - pumpkins and warm homemade soups, crisp blue skies and russet landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruthie, I love autumn, too! You've put it so well with your words and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos & sights & and beautiful hair, both on you and on your painting. Can't wait to see the finished image <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh ... beautiful and inspiring as always. luscious photos ... gorgeous color ... and yes, beautiful autumn hair! (jealous! ;)
    Love the watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only just made it back here dear Ruthie, sorry to be absent for so long.
    Sending you Happy happy Christmas hugs my friend.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your autumnal photographs are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely wonderful photos, I'm enchanted by your depiction of Autumn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my wee corner of blog land, I love to hear from you all and will visit as soon as I can.